Friday, January 26, 2018

Topic Brainstorm

Arjuna Statue (Wikpedia)

Jataka Tales: I feel that this is a likely candidate for my storybook. I've read a couple already (of course!) and I like that there's a lot of variation in the stories. With the large amount of stories I think I'll be able to find inspiration fast and get writing sooner. I really enjoyed the Fables from Mythology and Folklore and these seem really similar. I'd probably use the Jataka's blogspot site for my source mainly.

Weapons of the Gods: This one was really cool to me. I read a little bit about these weapons on Wikipedia (just now) and the idea that they're innately supernatural is neat. I think I could make a story that contains research logs of archaeologists who dig up these weapons and experience their mysterious powers. I think my favorite is Gandiva, because of the sheer power it has. My source for these would most likely be their Wikipedia entries.

Karma: I think Karma would be an interesting idea for my storybook. I could follow the lives of two people who start off as equals, but one is affected by good karma and the other by bad karma. If I went in this direction, I'd try to tie the events resulting from karma to the actions they've taken. I'm only a bit familiar with the concept of karma (just the amount most people know already). If I went in this direction I'd use the Wikipedia article and some associated concepts to get a better grasp on what it means in India.

Avatars of the Gods: Having the gods descend to Earth and making contact with mortals makes for great storytelling. I read just a little bit about Shiva challenging Arjuna to a hunting competition already. It looks like there's a lot of stories of gods manifesting on Earth, so I shouldn't run out of material. I could write a collection of short stories set in modern time that mirror the events that happened in the literature. If I used this, my sources would be varied, but I'd start with the Wikipedia article as an introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment