Sunday, January 21, 2018

Week 2 Story: The Jester's Account

Raft (Wikipedia)

Awoke I had, seeing naught but smoke
Billowing from the furnaces recently stoked.
Trying to clear it, I moved my hands
Only to find them tied up with bands.
The king enters, his voice commands:
"Bring him here, as he still stands!"
Slowly and steadily I approach,
He stares at me with eyes of reproach.
"Choose now which fate you will take,
To be imprisoned for life or burned at the stake."
His eyes glow with contempt.
I see his ruse and put forth my attempt.
"I'm fine with either," I say while frowning.
"But thank you for sparing me from drowning"
"Then drown you shall!", the king exclaims.
"Throw him to the ocean, and the sharks shall maim!"
I arrived at the beach, still in chains.
My attire weathered, covered with stains.
Without these locks, my hands could be free
I peek at a guard and find the key.
Stealthily and sneakily I hide this treasure
Within my mouth as extra measure.
The beach emerges as we climb the hill.
I can barely contain my cries of thrill.
We descend unto the glistening sand
As I ready the rusty key in hand.
Quickly and quietly I manipulate the metal
I loosen the locks; my nerves start to settle
I climb the raft which the guards lift
They set me free to sea adrift
Believing me to be helpless here
They leave the shore and disappear
When I see them leave I cry in joy
The foolish king fell for my ploy!
My arms free I gather some sticks
And place them in my hands betwixt.
Rowing restlessly 'round the reef
Wearing a grin of disbelief
I come to shore over yonder
I disembark and begin to wander.
I remember now why the king was mad.
I wouldn't stop rhyming.

Authors Note: I wanted something challenging so here it is. It turned out to take a long time as a result but it was still fun. The original story is about a frog who is captured by a king and he makes a bluff telling the king that he was afraid of water, so the king orders the turtle thrown into a river, to the turtle's benefit.

Bibliography: The Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler!
    This was absolutely amazing! I love that you kept the same concept but made it into a funny ending. This was such a joy to read and I truly did not see that ending the way that it did which made it even better. I am so excited to read more of your stories as the semester goes on.
    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tyler! I love the way you wrote your story! it is definitely not ordinary and poetry is an amazing way to express oneself in a beautiful way. This class is great in the way it gives you an outline to follow and you are able to make the story your own and make whatever changes you want to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tyler! Wow, I am very impressed with this retelling. I can only imagine how much time and effort it took you to do this. That is a lot of rhyming..it sure makes this fun to read! I love that it is all poetry, but it is written in a way that is still accessible and easy to follow. In addition, the storyline is clear and to the point. I wonder what sparked this character to be captured? There is no backstory to how he got there.. What if you wrote something that could explain this situation and then add it for your portfolio or storybook. Thanks for sharing this. Again, I am very impressed! I look forward to seeing your future stories.
    Happy until! Jessie

    ReplyDelete