Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Reading Notes: Ramayana Part B

Ravana and Sita (Wikipedia)

Bharata's situation at the start was pretty sad to me. He expected a happy occasion and instead he found his father dead and his brother exiled from the land. His hatred for his mother seemed palpable when she admitted she exiled Rama and made him the new heir. I could have that manipulation story I mentioned earlier incorporate these events too, showing some kind of backfire. Bharata leaving the city and begging Rama to become king makes him seem really righteous too. I liked the story of Soorpanaka, she reminds me of a changeling. It also reminded me of the story where Shiva transformed into a man to take his wife. I thought it was pretty cruel for Lakshmana to chop off parts of her body though. Her speech on how her and Rama getting married would solve everything reminded me of every movie scene where the bad guy makes a last ditch offer to bribe the hero. I could have something like that in my story. One disappointing part of this story is that the fighting scenes begin and end within the span of one or two sentences. I would've liked to see some more detail put into how Rama and Lakshmana defeated an army. Maybe I'll come up with a story for that later. The idea of gods having to do housework is really funny to me, maybe I could make a story about greek gods having to work in a restaurant? The part where Maricha distracts Rama and then Lakshmana so the others could kidnap Sita makes me think of a heist or something. Someone would distract a guard, knock them out, then use their pager to call other guards to their position as they sneak into a vault or something. I think that could make for an interesting story if done properly.

Bibliography: The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan

No comments:

Post a Comment