Sunday, January 14, 2018

Growth Mindset Thoughts

Growth Mindset Meme (Growth Mindset Memes)


So, I learned about Carol Dweck and the Growth Mindset concept when I took the Mythology and Folklore class. It was nice to be able to put a name to something I had in my head for some time. I shared a personal experience with having a growth mindset when it came to art. Early on with drawing, I felt discouraged when I encountered an obstacle. Eventually I would come to tackle these obstacles, understanding that I could overcome them through practice and effort. It ended up being a rewarding experience for me and when I draw unfamiliar things today I loosen up instead of prepare myself for failure. This applies to my other hobbies as well, such as piano and guitar. When I start learning a tough song, I see it as a challenge in a positive way. As I play (and make mistakes), I'm still having fun because I realize that I'm getting better every pass through. To me, realizing that you're constantly improving is really important for maintaining a growth mindset.

That said, I still groan when I need to do something really difficult and I have a short time to do it (it's only natural to feel frustration at these times). But when I think of these things I keep a quote from Laozi in my head: "A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step". This makes things seem a lot more approachable and if I didn't have this mindset I don't know where I would be, since I'd end up giving up when things get too difficult.

My stay at OU has taught me that I'm capable of putting in more effort than I thought I was. I spent dozens and dozens of hours on projects that just seemed like way too much work when I first saw them, but I ended up finishing anyways. Just by pushing through and working bit by bit, learning as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment