Sunday, April 8, 2018

Growth Mindset: Creativity Article

me when i'm painting an apple but it's blue (MusicBakery)


I read Creativity Is Much More Than 10,000 Hours Of Deliberate Practice by Scott Kaufman

This article's main message is basically: "Practice makes perfect, but it doesn't make anything new". It summarizes some key points on creativity. Some of them are obvious, such as outsiders having a creative advantage. Of course an outside perspective would have more creative ideas! Some I disagree with, at least to an extent, such as genes being relevant. I think they're relevant to a point but I also think nurture more powerful in developing creativity. I think the article defines practice as practicing on refinement of your technique. I think practice can have a huge impact on creativity if you practice the right things. If you gain more insight on other perspectives, if you try to see your field in a different way, if you try exercises to reduce your rigidity. Of course this is possibly the opposite of practicing for refinement. I think it helps to think of it as say, drawing apples. If you draw apples as close to real life as you can 100,000 times, you're going to be damn good at drawing apples. But if someone asks you to draw an apple as creatively as you can, you're going to draw an apple then color it... blue or something. Meanwhile, if you expand your perspective and start to dabble in different mediums and art forms, maybe you could draw an apple in more creative ways than just drawing an apple and coloring it blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment