Sunday, March 11, 2018

Wikipedia Trails: Hate-watching to Stranger in a Strange Land

So I picked up a new word from the Class Twitter: "Hate-watch", and I had no idea what that was so I started with it.

TV News Simulation (Wikipedia)

Hate-watching: Hate-watching is a neologism for watching something despite hating the content. I don't really get the point in watching stuff you hate.

Neologism (Merriam Webster)

Neologism: I got here because I saw it was one of the first words in the article and I wasn't familiar. It turns out a neologism is a word or phrase that's just beginning to enter common speak, but it isn't fully integrated yet. I wonder if hate-watching is considered fully integrated now that it's in the dictionary..

Stranger in a Strange Land (Flickr)

Grok: An example of a neologism, first used in the 1961 novel "Stranger in a Strange Land". It's been defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as "To understand intuitively or by empathy".

Also Stranger in a Strange Land (Wikipedia)

Stranger in a Strange Land: The book "Grok" was used in. It details the story of a human male who was born on Mars and raised by aliens. He returns to Earth, where theocracy rules and World War III had already occurred. The Library of Congress put it in its list of 88 books that shaped America.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that hate-watching was even a word. This post has already taught me something new. I had also never heard of neologism. It feels like such a fancy word for an easy definition.

    ReplyDelete