Friday, March 23, 2018

Growth Mindset: SMART article

Wooden Art Palette (123RF)

I think I came to the same realization as the article explains a few years ago. I like the acronym they presented though, SMART. S for Specific goals, M for measurability of those goals, A for achievability of those goals, R for relevant goals, and T for time-bound goals. A good goal incorporates all of these and leads to success. I think I first came across this in the realm of drawing, where without clearly defined goals you end up procrastinating or getting nowhere. For example. having a goal of "I want to be as good at drawing as this person" as your sole goal isn't going to do your any favors because you don't have a path to reach that goal or a time limit set. Deciding that you want to get better at hands and that you'd draw, say, 20 hands a day for a week is a more concrete goal that requires you to work as soon as you start. These kinds of goals get you much farther.

Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/18/smarter-living/how-to-stick-with-new-years-resolutions.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tyler!
    I really like the example you gave. I had a similar goal with calligraphy. It is crazy how just establishing the break down of your goal, which seems obvious at the time your create it, can change the outcome and how successful you are at achieving your goal.
    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete